History of the Baker Center
The history of Baker Center dates back to 1925 when Morris T. Baker, George D. Dayton and several other investors formed the Intersection Holding Company and purchased the property bound by Marquette Avenue on the west, Seventh Street on the north, Second Avenue on the east and Eight Street on the south, with the exception of a section (90 by 155 feet) at Second Avenue and Eight Street, which was owned by the Business Women's Club. At the time of the purchase the property was known as the "Street Car" or "Terminal" Block because it was proposed to be developed as the main terminal for all city and suburban streetcars. The Terminal Block, excluding the Business Women's Club, was purchased from the Rapid Transit Real Estate Corporation for $1,500,000. After the purchase of the property, Intersection Holding Company became the Morris T. Baker Company and the Terminal Block became known as the Baker Block.
The Morris T. Baker Company's original plans for the property was to construct:
|A twelve story office building on the corner of Seventh Street and Second Avenue ("the Baker Building")
||A three story parking garage with street level store fronts between the Baker Building and the Business Women's Club ("the Baker Garage")
||A twelve story hotel on the corner Seventh Street and Marquette Avenue